<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 02, 2004

"Love Zone," Billy Ocean (8/30/86)
He had an awfully good '86, didn't he? If "Caribbean Queen" is the middle ground, and "There'll Be Sad Songs" the bad, this is the defiantly, better-than-it-frankly-deserves-to-be, good. Since the first time I heard it, "Zone" had me hooked, and does to this day. I suspect it's something to do with the vaguely (but not really) Asian high-pitched keyb figures in the background, the politely funky bass, the perfectly plucked guitar. But more than all that, it's the fact that for once, I believe him. This isn't some cut-rate bill of goods I'm being sold, this is for real. Plus, the phrase "Love Zone" is delightfully so-bad-it's-yes-good. No parking please, this is the love zone. A-

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
(0) comments
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?