<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, November 29, 2008

"Giving You the Best That I Got," Anita Baker (11/12/88)
Coming off the humongous success of Rapture, Baker was due for a #1, and delivered with this superbly supper-club-jazzy, relaxed-but-not-sleepy R&B midtempo bomb. Perfect backing vocalists, perfectly arranged; a song whose bridge actually does something; a lyric for the ages ("I like the sound of your song/and I think I wanna sing it forever" - not to mention "I bet everything/on my wedding ring," which always nailed me anyway but especially does now that I'm fairly newly wed); and a vocal that is utter and complete perfection. This isn't quite the Godlike genius that is "Sweet Love" (#2, 1986), but it's damned close, and quite a deserving #1 record. A

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
(0) comments
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?